Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Egg-centric Accent

Breakfast in bed? This is Ovopillo (oh-voh-pìh-lo), an egg-shaped bolster that I designed for the couch. Can't you see yourself laying down in a nest of these? It's very plush. This zippered sham fits snugly over an oval form. The bold Fair Isle pattern is inspired by curry leaves.

Fair Isle construction requires concentration and a steady hand. I wouldn't watch Netflix while working in Fair Isle, but I'd catch up on my PodCasts. The long strands that lay on the back (aka, floats) must be woven and managed as closely as the pattern side. I own a few different types of knitting bridges and thimbles, but I prefer to use my ring to steady the strands as I work.

It's the prefect size for resting your head — 19" tall by 9" diameter. This would a hit with kids. Phillip the cat seems to like it too, although he may not be as egg-cited about it as I am.

2 comments:

Rowan said...

This is egg-cellent. I thought the pattern was based on a hebrew letter.
Must be my wanna-be-jew thing.

Unknown said...

I thought you said you were Druish.